P272 is a mandatory, industry-wide change issued by OFGEM and will be implemented by all energy suppliers.
P272 defines that all non-half hourly (NHH) metered supplies with profile codes 05-08 (first two digits of your top line MPAN) must be settled as half hourly supplies (Profile Code 00) with effect from 1st April 2017.
Currently the majority of the electricity usage in mainland UK is estimated and therefore suppliers and network operators are unable to know the exact demands on the network & the exact costs of supply. A project has already been completed to install Automated Meters (AMRs) on all these supplies in preparation for P272, this was completed by 31st December 2014.
What are the implications of P272?
- Your electricity supply structure will change to include new half hourly charging structures such as capacity charges (£/kVA/Mth) and metering charges.
- Mid-term contract changes are envisaged by suppliers.
- Your electricity invoice will change in the way usage is displayed & the elements of your contract.
- You may need to appoint a meter operator, data collector & data aggregator for your meter.
- If you have a new supply installed above 60 kVA it most likely will have to be installed as a true half hourly supply (Profile 00) with half hourly metering contract.